Legalities – What you must know



Below is a list of legalities relating to your ceremony that are enforced throughout Australia.

Notice of Intended Marriage
This form is available from your celebrant or the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. It can also be downloaded here. It must be lodged with your celebrant within 18 months of the wedding, and no later than a clear calendar month before.

Birth Certificates
Birth Certificates or Extracts must be shown. If a person was born overseas and is in possession of an overseas passport this may be accepted. Where a person is unable to provide either a birth certificate or an overseas passport then a Statutory Declaration must be completed explaining why a birth certificate cannot be provided, also stating where and when the party was born and providing details of any alternative identification.

A Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce
This is required if you are divorced. You can complete the Notice of Intended Marriage prior to the divorce but the marriage cannot take place until after the divorce. The Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be produced prior to the marriage.

Death Certificate
Death Certificate or extract is necessary if you are widowed.

Fees vary from celebrant to celebrant. A non-refundable booking fee is required when you lodge the Notice of Intention to Marry. The payment of a non-refundable booking fee confirms your booking. The balance of the fee is usually required two weeks prior to the wedding day.

Changing your name on legal documents
Your celebrant will issue you with your Certificate of Marriage. But to change your name at Vic Roads or the Passports Office you will require the certified copy of your marriage certificate. This form is available from Births, Deaths and Marriages approximately a week or two after your wedding. The application form for this certificate is available from the Post Office. There is a small fee payable.